Nerdy Girl Success, Inc. and the LeadHERship magazine is here to:
- be a platform for women and girls of all ages so their stories can be told and their voices heard.
- celebrate women who are blazing a trail for all of us whether they are our fore mothers, current peers or the future leaders.
- shine a light on the unconscious biases that we have and examining them so we can understand and change.
- find humor and common ground as these are necessary for creating bonds with one another, feeling connected and invested.
We are looking for original content in the form of
- Sharing personal experiences related to the issue’s topic.
- Discussion proving articles that are well researched and connections between one’s personal experience and larger social issues.
- Fictional pieces
- Poetry or song lyrics
- Interviews with women making an impact on their community.
- Reviews of books, movies, podcasts and music that are women centered are welcome.
- Photographs and illustrations that embody the issues theme.
Features are 2,000 to 2,500 words.
- Essay or Article
- Personal Perspective
Reviews are 1, 000 to 1,500 words.
- Movies, books, music or podcasts that focus on women and women’s issues
Issue themes are idea starters rather than the four corners to stay within. We have listed below some key words and prompts that may assist you in any idea creation. There is no need to be literal in your thought process for your pitch. If you’ve got an idea that you think works for our magazine but you feel doesn’t necessarily fit the theme, please feel free to submit it anyway.
Pitch submitting dates for the Summer Issue are from 5/1/19 – 7/1/19
Summer 2019, Issue 3: Biases
Bias: cause to feel or show inclination or prejudice for or against someone or something.
Our biases can create mental shortcuts…making an inference without a lot of deliberation or reflection. They effect how we make every day decisions.
Here are some thoughts and idea prompts:
- What different kinds of biases are there? Where do they come from?
- Can you really be free of all biases?
- Have you caught yourself making biased decisions?
KEY WORDS: gender, racial, sexism, agism, white privilege, society, nature vs nurture
- If you’re looking for LeadHERship to review your book, music, podcast, film we encourage you to be familiar with our organization. If you have something you think matches with our mission and would like us to review, please reach out to us.
- Currently, we are working on a volunteer basis. No one is paid for their work on the magazine. 100% of any subscriptions goes directly to funding the work we do with teen girls.